How to Select the Right Massage Therapy Training Course near Waycross Georgia
Enrolling in the right massage therapy school near Waycross GA is an important first step to beginning a rewarding first or second career as a massage therapist. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in an occupation where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide variety of locations, including hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! But before starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the proper training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that not all massage therapy programs are alike. When making your evaluations, it’s important that you look at all aspects of the schools you are considering and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide some basic tips that you should incorporate into your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Waycross GA that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Waycross GA should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Waycross GA during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapy Programs
Before you choose a massage therapist program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Waycross GA. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapy training program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Waycross GA employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Waycross GA make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Enrolling in a Massage Therapy School Near Waycross GA?
Perhaps you live near Waycross Georgia or will commute to a massage therapist degree program in that area. Either way, you may find the following background information about the location of your new school campus both interesting and informative.
Waycross includes two historic districts (Downtown Waycross Historic District and Waycross Historic District) and several other properties that are on the National Register of Historic Places, including the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, Lott Cemetery, the First African Baptist Church and Parsonage, and the Obediah Barber Homestead (which is seven miles south of the city).
The area now known as Waycross was first settled circa 1820, locally known as "Old Nine" or "Number Nine" and then Pendleton. It was renamed Tebeauville in 1857, incorporated under that name in 1866, and designated county seat of Ware County in 1873. It was incorporated as "Way Cross" on March 3, 1874. Waycross gets its name from the city's location at key railroad junctions; lines from six directions meet at the city.
Waycross was home to Laura S. Walker (1861-1955) a noted author and conservationist. Walker promoted a comprehensive program of forestry activity, including the establishment of forest parks. She erected markers and monuments along old trails and at historic sites, in Waycross and Ware County so that local history would not be forgotten. An effort to recognize her work culminated in President Franklin D Roosevelt issuing a proclamation to establish the Laura S Walker National Park in her honor. She was the only living person for whom a state or national park was named. In 1937, the federal government purchased distressed farmland for the park. Work on the park was undertaken by the Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps. In 1941, the national park was deeded over to Georgia, becoming the State's 13th state park.
Select the Right Massage Therapist Program near Waycross GA
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Classes To Become A Massage Therapist. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by selecting the right massage therapy degree program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Waycross Georgia area.
More Therapeutic Locations in Georgia
Bing: Georgia Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Esthetician School in Georgia | Jobs - How to Become an Esthetician
Here’s our pick for the ten best beauty schools in Georgia offering esthetics programs that meet state licensing requirements: American National College - Atlanta. Website. Tuition Cost: $10,403; ... Nailcare, and Massage Therapy, you’ll be able to learn the science and theory behind skin care, body care, hair removal, and makeup while ...
Physical therapy - Wikipedia
Physical therapy (PT), also known as physiotherapy, is one of the allied health professions. It is provided by physical therapists who promote, maintain, or restore health through physical examination, diagnosis, prognosis, patient education, physical intervention, rehabilitation, disease prevention, and health promotion. Physical therapists are known as physiotherapists in many countries.