How to Select the Right Massage Therapist Training Program near Laceys Spring Alabama
Picking the right massage therapy school near Laceys Spring AL is an important first step to beginning a rewarding first or second career as a massage therapist. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in an occupation where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide variety of locations, including hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! But before starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the proper training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that not all massage therapy programs are alike. When making your evaluations, it’s important that you look at all aspects of the schools you are considering and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide some basic tips that you should incorporate into your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Laceys Spring AL that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Laceys Spring AL should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapist Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Laceys Spring AL during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapist Courses
Before you enroll in a massage therapy program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Laceys Spring AL. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapy degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Laceys Spring AL employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Laceys Spring AL make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Enrolling in a Massage Therapy School Near Laceys Spring AL?
Perhaps you live near Laceys Spring Alabama or will commute to a massage therapist degree program in that area. Either way, you may find the following background information about the location of your new school campus both interesting and informative.
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Lacey's Spring is an unincorporated community in northeastern Morgan County, Alabama, United States at the base of Brindlee Mountain. It is included in the Decatur Metropolitan Area, as well as the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area.
Pick the Right Massage Therapy Program near Laceys Spring AL
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in How Long Is Massage Therapy School. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by enrolling in the right massage therapy training course. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Laceys Spring Alabama area.
More Therapeutic Locations in Alabama
Business Results 1 - 10 of 36
Bing: Alabama Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Christian Miller strongly advocates for Jeremy Pruitt to replace Pete ...
Alabama football now has its third former player of the Nick Saban era strongly advocating for Jeremy Pruitt. Christian Miller, a South Carolina native, played outside linebacker for the Crimson Tide from 2014 to 2018. RELATED: Alabama DB Jordan Battle opts to not play in the 2023 Senior Bowl He was on four Southeastern Conference Championship […]
Alabama.gov | The Official Website of the State of Alabama
Alabama.gov is one of the best government sites in the nation. Discover our many awards and recognitions.
Alabama's Official Travel Guide - Alabama.Travel - Local Tips for Your ...
Alabama's Official Travel Guide - Alabama.Travel. Start planning . Tap “Add to Trip” on anything you want to save to create the perfect Alabama adventure.
Potential Defensive Coordinator Candidates For Alabama
This Alabama native was a Tide grad assistant (2010-11) before leading defensive backs at Tennessee and Kentucky. He returned to Tuscaloosa to coach that same unit in the defensive heydays of ...
What to See & Do in Alabama | Must See Attractions for 2022
Alabama Facts. Capital Montgomery. Nickname Yellowhammer State. Bird Yellowhammer. Elevation 2,407 feet. Highest Natural Point Cheaha Mountain. Flower Camellia. Song Alabama. Counties 67.
Alabama Maps & Facts - World Atlas
With an area of 135,760 sq. km, Alabama is the 30 th largest and the 24 th most populous state in the USA. Located in the central part of the state, on the southern shores of the Alabama River is Montgomery – the capital and the 2 nd most populous city of Alabama. Due to its central location in the state’s Black Belt region, Montgomery serves as the processing center for a variety of crops, including soybeans, peanuts, and cotton.
Alabama's Official Travel Guide
Everything Alabama has to offer —in one easy place! Whether you’re planning a weekend of golf or a seven-day beach getaway for the entire family, our Alabama Vacation & Events Guide as well as other brochures will help you find the perfect mix of activities, attractions and accommodations.
Alabama | Flag, Facts, Maps, Capital, Cities, & Attractions
Alabama, constituent state of the United States of America, admitted to the union in 1819 as the 22nd state. Alabama forms a roughly rectangular shape on the map, elongated in a north-south direction. It is bordered by Tennessee to the north, Georgia to the east, and Mississippi to the west.
Alabama - Wikipedia
Alabama is the 30th largest by area and the 24th-most populous of the U.S. states. With a total of 1,500 miles (2,400 km) of inland waterways, Alabama has among the most of any state. Alabama is nicknamed the Yellowhammer State, after the state bird. Alabama is also known as the "Heart of Dixie" and the "Cotton State".
The University of Alabama
From tulips and cherry blossoms in the spring to cascades of golden leaves in the fall, you’re surrounded by dramatic intersections of classic architecture and modern advancement. UA is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama – a vibrant, multicultural community a few hours from several major cities. Our exciting downtown and small-city atmosphere make our home one of the best places to live in the Southeastern United States.